Feedback, Complaints and Resolution
Muscular Dystrophy Queensland (MDQ) welcomes your feedback as a way to understand the level of your satisfaction with our service and as an opportunity for us to continue to develop and improve.
Your feedback can be via compliments, suggestions and complaints.
MDQ is committed to upholding your right to be treated fairly and consistently and without fear of retribution when there is a disagreement or complaint. You have the right to complain without affecting your access to services and you also have the right to have an advocate or support person of your choice to assist you when providing your feedback. All feedback will be handled respectfully and confidentially.
Who can provide feedback?
Any person who uses Muscular Dystrophy Queensland’s services or participates in our events can provide feedback, make a suggestion or a complaint. Family members, people who work in the sector or members of the public can also provide constructive feedback or make a complaint
What can I provide feedback about?
- Our programs, both NDIS funded and our charitable services
- Our processes and the way we do our work
- Our events and any aspect of them
- Our staff and how they conduct themselves in any situation
- Our performance in general
How can I provide feedback?
You can provide feedback or make a suggestion or a complaint by contacting Muscular Dystrophy or discussing your issues with any one of our staff. Here are a few suggestions:
- Have a conversation with an MDQ staff member who will either try to resolve your complaint on the spot or refer it to a manger for resolution. The staff member will ask you whether you want the feedback to be referred and assist you in writing a summary of your feedback if that is necessary
- The MDQ Feedback form is available on or website: http://mdqld.org.au/contact-us/
- You can email the CEO at firstname.lastname@example.org or write a letter to: Locked Bag 3000, Eagle Farm BC, Qld 4009
- We have an annual, wide ranging Client Survey which you can use to provide us with feedback
- We have workshop and program evaluations, and occasional phone surveys
You can lodge your feedback or complaint with your contact details included or you may wish to lodge it anonymously. If you wish to remain anonymous, every effort will be made to ensure that your wishes are respected.
If you have an issue with the CEO or one which you do not want to share at staff level, you can provide feedback or make complaints directly to the Board Chair (Email: email@example.com)
Can I have a support person?
We would like you to be as comfortable as possible throughout lodging a complaint, having it investigated and resolved so where you have a need, we will assist you in making a complaint. MDQ will also support you to have a support person, an interpreter, a communication assistant, or a cultural ambassador. The support person is there purely to provide support and cannot argue the case on behalf of the person making the complaint
Once my feedback is received, what happens?
MDQ undertakes to provide an objective and positive response to any feedback, especially to any complaints. All complaints will be investigated, discussed with the person making the complaint and resolved as soon as possible i.e. acknowledgement within 3 business days and if possible, resolution within 21 days of acknowledgement
All people involved in the complaint i.e. both the person complaining and any person/s against whom the complaint has been made, will have the right to have the complaint investigated and resolved respectfully, confidentially and in a timely manner
We will aim to
- Do an investigation which is proportionate to the nature of the complaint,
- Keep you informed about how we investigate
- Provide answers and take remedial action.
One or some of the following may happen once we have all the information:
- An apology. Mistakes are made and it is only when you point those out that MDQ can improve.
- Clarification through information provided to the person complaining
- Changes in the processes which MDQ follows
- Staff training
- Reallocation of a client to another team member for service provision
MDQ will also communicate their actions in writing to the complainant.
What happens if I am not satisfied with the outcome of my complaint?
You may not be satisfied with the outcome of our internal complaint investigation. Should you be dissatisfied, you have the right to ask the CEO to refer your complaint to the MDQ Board or to direct it yourself to the Board Chairperson, via email firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are not satisfied with the board’s decisions or you wish to refer the complaint to an external agency, you can take your issue to one of the following:
- NDIS Commission https://www.ndiscommission.gov.au/about/complaints (MDQ also has an information sheet about making a complaint to the NDIS Commission)
- Queensland Ombudsman https://www.ombudsman.qld.gov.au/how-to-complain
- Commonwealth Ombudsman https://forms.business.gov.au/smartforms/servlet/SmartForm.html?formCode=oco-complaint-form
- Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commission https://www.acnc.gov.au/contact-us
- Queensland legal system
- As a whistleblower for matters of public interest or misconduct. (MDQ also has an information sheet about making a complaint as a whistleblower)
How does Muscular Dystrophy Queensland use my feedback to continuously improve its practice?
Following the complaint resolution, the management team will also review all aspects of the complaint and make changes needed to reduce the risk of similar situations arising.
The CEO also keeps the board informed and they analyse trends as well. An end of year report which includes a summary of the complaints, outcomes, and the changes made. The board again discusses any systemic issues and opportunities for improvement.
MDQ’s full Feedback, Complaints and Resolution Policy is available on request. We may at any time update or remove this policy without prior notice. Any changes to this policy will be published here on our website. This policy was last updated in February 2020.
Contact details for feedback
Muscular Dystrophy Queensland
Locked Bag 3000
Eagle Farm BC Qld 4009