Cough Assist Program
For people living with progressive neuromuscular conditions, respiratory support might be required at some stage. As the muscles in the body become weaker, the respiratory muscles may be affected which impacts on the ability to breathe and clear secretions from the lungs.
How can I access a CoughAssist™ machine?
A CoughAssist™ Machine can be prescribed by a medical professional or a physiotherapist to support breathing function. The machine would be required for a temporary period while recovering from an acute respiratory infection. The physiotherapist may also supervise daily use to assist breathing and coughing.
How does the CoughAssist™ machine Work?
The CoughAssist™ machine consists of a base (where the air pressure can be adjusted) and a nasal face mask. A physiotherapist will teach you how to use the machine and assist you to find the suitable level. When using the CoughAssist™ machine, the mouth piece releases air while you inhale (breathe in) increasing the flow of air into the lungs and assisting the lungs to expand. When you exhale (breathe out) the machine works in reverse by creating a sucking force. This makes your cough stronger and more effective.
During an acute respiratory infection, CoughAssist™ Machines have been shown to improve breathing and clear secretions from the lungs, helping to minimise the risk of developing more serious conditions such as pneumonia or bronchitis (1).
The Muscular Dystrophy QLD CoughAssist™ program
At Muscular Dystrophy Queensland, we will continue to support our clients to access the assistive technology that they require for their health and wellbeing. Your case worker at Muscular Dystrophy Queensland can provide you with information and support to access a CoughAssist™ machine in the following ways.
- Philips Sleepeasy 2015 CoughAssist™ E720: Philips Sleepeasy provides consultancy and education on a range of CPAP, BiPAP, oxygen and respiratory products including the 2015 CoughAssist™ E720. Philips Sleepeasy is working with Muscular Dystrophy Queensland and has arranged a special deal for Muscular Dystrophy Queensland clients to access the CoughAssist™ E770 through the Phillips Sleepeasy Centres
Discounted Price: $255/ month and 10% off consumables (contact us at Muscular Dystrophy QLD for more information)
- Muscular Dystrophy Queensland Fundraising Program: Recently Muscular Dystrophy Qld has been fundraising to raise rental costs of CoughAssist™ machine hire from the Philips Sleepeasy program. This fundraising program is in its early stages and would be used for clients with financial needs who have acute need for the CoughAssist™ machine.
- Information on Alternative CoughAssist™ Rental and Loaning Systems: Unfortunately at the current time we do not have the capacity to purchase and provide direct loan services for the CoughAssist™ machines. However you may be able to access a temporary loan through the Prince Charles Hospital Training Program.
Philips are proud to partner with the national Muscular Dystrophy Foundation and support their commitment to the people and families whose lives are affected by neuromuscular disorders. Royal Philips is a diversified health and well-being company, focused on improving people’s lives through meaningful innovation in the areas of Healthcare, Consumer Lifestyle and Lighting. The company is a leader in cardiac care, acute care and home healthcare, energy efficient lighting solutions and new lighting applications, as well as male shaving and grooming and oral healthcare.
For more information about is and other respiratory support, please go directly to the following websites:
- Cough Assist E70 Mechanical Insufflator-Exsufflator.
- Trilogy 100 BiPAP ventilation system.
- These devices can be rented or purchased through Philips Sleepeasy centres.
1. Chatwin M et al. Cough Augmentation with Mechanical Insufflation/ Exsufflation in Patients with Neuromuscular Weakness. Eur Respir J: March 2003: 21(3):502-508