Counselling and social work
Muscular Dystrophy Queensland understands that having muscular dystrophy or similar condition can be tough at times. Having someone to talk to who understands the condition, who will listen in a confidential and non-judgemental way and has the training to help you explore options to find a resolution to your concerns may be helpful.
Your questions answered …
What areas can your Social Worker help with?
Muscular Dystrophy Queensland’s Social Worker is a qualified counsellor who can help with:
- Adjustment to living with a disability
- Depression and anxiety
- Grief, loss and anger
- Intimacy and sexuality concerns
- Self-esteem and bullying
- Family and relationship conflict
- Social isolation
- Managing ongoing fatigue and pain
- Or any other area of concern to you.
How do I get counselling support?
- Our counselling service is available to people who have had funding included under ‘Improved Daily Living Skills’ in their NDIS plan.
- For those who are carers, family or friends of a person with muscular dystrophy or similar condition we will refer you to suitable services.
- If you are living in an area where the NDIS has not yet rolled out, we will also refer you to suitable services.
Why employ MDQ to provide counselling and social work services?
- Muscular Dystrophy Queensland specialises in working with people with muscular dystrophy and similar conditions. We understand the pathway of the conditions we support so we have the expertise to provide you with a quality service.
- Our counsellor/social worker, Lindell De Marte, has been working with people with muscular dystrophy and similar conditions at MDQ for two years and has the understanding needed to support you in living with your condition
- MDQ has been providing services under the NDIS since it came to Queensland. Many other service providers are just preparing for the NDIS launch in south east Queensland
- We are there to ‘look out for you,’ and to support you to get the most out of your NDIS plan
- You will have access to our free services.
Take the next step. Contact us and begin the discussion.
To have a confidential discussion and talk through whether counselling may be right for you or to make an appointment, please contact Muscular Dystrophy Queensland on 07 3243 9700 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
 We acknowledge the permission of MDNSW to reproduce their content.