Who does MDQ support?
We provide whole-of-life support and services to Queenslanders living with muscular dystrophy and similar conditions i.e. muscle wasting conditions. All of the conditions Muscular Dystrophy Queensland supports are rare conditions so it would be impossible to provide you with a full list, however, we can provide some examples:
- All forms of muscular dystrophy. More common forms include Duchenne, Becker’s, Facioscapulohumeral, Myotonic, Limb Girdle, Emery Dreyfuss, and Oculopharyngeal Muscular Dystrophy.
- Neuromuscular conditions. More common forms include Spinal Muscular Atrophy, Charcot-Marie-Tooth, neuropathies and myopathies, myasthenia gravis, Motor Neurone Disease, and Multiple Sclerosis.
- Similar conditions. This category is for people who have a muscle wasting condition, not covered by the categories above and who wish to use our services.
Muscular Dystrophy Queensland respects and accommodates the needs of all people, being sensitive to their backgrounds. We have a long history of supporting people from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities and culturally and linguistically diverse (CALD) communities.
All people are entitled to communicate in their own way, using preferred language or means of communication. MDQ staff will do all it takes to enable this communication e.g. sourcing and using interpreter services.
Who are Muscular Dystrophy Queensland’s NDIS customers?
For any person who has an NDIS Plan, Muscular Dystrophy Queensland offers Plan Management Provision.
For people with muscle wasting conditions, who have an NDIS Plan, MDQ offers the following services:
- Plan Management provision
- Support Coordination
- Allied health services for people living within a two hour radius of Brisbane
- Social Work and Counselling
- Occupational Therapy
- Allied Health Assistant
You are most welcome to call us on 3243 9700 for more information.
What if I am not eligible for an NDIS Plan?
Using funds raised by our donors, Muscular Dystrophy Queensland also supports people with a neuromuscular condition, who will not be eligible for an individual NDIS Plan, including those who do not meet the NDIS citizenship or age criteria. Because of our limited capacity, this support will not be as extensive as our NDIS services.
Please call us on 3243 9700 with any queries about whether your condition is supported by our programs.